Welcome to A Month In The Life, a new series on the blog where I ask some of my favourite designers, makers and creative types to keep a record of the last month and share an insight into what they’ve been up to! Today we follow pattern designer and illustrator Esther Cox through February.
I first came across Esther’s work through the Art & Business Of Surface pattern alumni group and was instantly drawn to her bold abstract designs that are heavily influenced by mid-century aesthetics and are fabulously “colourful and quirky”, as Esther herself describes them! You can find loads of her designs on her website, in her shop and connect with her on twitter.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Over to you Esther, tell us how February went for you:
“Mostly I feel like I spend my time nursing a cup of tea while figuring out the next bit of a design. But when I looked back over my month’s worth of pictures I was surprised to find that not all of them are of the biscuits I’ve eaten! I have been out and about doing things and have managed to accomplish most of what I had set out to do. There has been nothing life changing but it all looks pretty content don’t you think? So these were some of my February highlights:
- Rediscovering drawing for pleasure. I started life drawing again after many years. It has been challenging and fun.
- Spending a weekend away with friends, and discovering the best jumble sale in the world.
- Finishing re-reading Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall and starting Bring up the bodies. Such a thrilling read.
- Visiting some great exhibitions in Brighton- Then, Now and After. An illustration show at Brighton University. Found at Unlimited. A group show of artists using collage and ephemera. And, Our time in ice at ONCA gallery. Showing artists’ response to the environmental changes in the Arctic. I’m lucky to live in such a creative city.
- Seeing The Sessions. A really tender and unexpected film. All the better for sharing it with my best friend.
- Completing a number of design projects and getting ready to launch my etsy store.
- Layering up in the cold (I adore my knitwear) and heading out for walks with my camera.
- Ending the month by discovering I have won Moyo magazine’s design competition.”
Thanks so much to Esther for joining in my new blog series, it was fab hearing about everything you’ve been up to over the month and huge congratulation on winning the Moyo design competition!